Click on the pictures above for additional information
Begin With Pest Identification
Management improves with specific knowledge of the pest, its life cycle and behavior. Go to Pest Problem Solver.
Watch short videos on pests. Learn about the City of Fort Collins “healthy homes” program in ‘Keep Homes Pest Free’.
- Address maintenance issues such as door sweeps and seals (pest-proofing) to prevent pests from getting into the home.
- Improve sanitation (cleaning) to reduce access to food for pests.
- Use a combination of methods to control pests when pest sightings exceed threshold values.
- Use pesticides only when a confirmed pest problem is present. Then, the least hazardous pesticide effective for control of a specific pest is applied using targeted treatments in areas not contacted or accessible to children or at-risk populations.
Mechanical and physical control — traps, mulches, barriers.
Chemical control — use of pesticides when needed and in combination with other approaches. To learn more
- Colorado Environmental Pesticide Education Program provides training on pesticide laws, worker protection and pesticide safety.
- Insecticide Use and Products, eXtension