Pediculus humanus capitis
Colorado Pest Press IPM Fact Sheet: Head Lice
- adults — small, rust-colored insect about the size of a sesame seed
- eggs (nits) — resemble dandruff flakes both in appearance and size
- hold onto hair above ears and near neckline with claw-like legs
- spread by direct contact with infested persons or belongings
- feed by piercing skin with claws and sucking out blood
- bites result in small, red, itchy bumps on scape and shoulders
- bites result in redness itching and swelling at the site, but reactions are variable
- infestations can cause sleeplessness and nervousness in those who have been bitten
- Perform inspections often, especially when other children are known to have lice.
- Clean carpets and furniture in classrooms and home frequently.
- Contact a medical professional.