Field Ant – Formica sp.
- black or reddish brown and black
- 1/8 inch in size
- most common ants found in yards and gardens
- often mistaken for carpenter ants, but not as likely to forage indoors (observed indoors most commonly in spring)
- nest outdoors in loose soil
- produce mounds (sometimes incorporating twigs, dried leaves and other plant materials) in exposed areas
- a variety of foods
- prefer sweet materials such as honeydew excreted by aphids and other insects
- become a nuisance during swarming flights
- Seal potential ant entryways.
- Store food in airtight containers, and dispose of trash regularly.
- Locate and destroy nests in lawn and adjacent areas.