CSU Extension Fact Sheet: Boxelder Bugs
- black bugs with red markings on body
- immature forms are smaller, but easily distinguished from the adults by their lack of wings and red abdomens
- found in and around homes from fall through early spring
- only a nuisance when there is a female boxelder tree in the area
- a variety of plants, but prefer boxelder seed pods, which are only found on female boxelder trees
- crawl on the exterior and interior of buildings; may stain lightly colored materials, and emit an unpleasant odor when smashed
- Remove female boxelder trees in the area if possible.
- Seal cracks that may allow boxelder bugs to enter buildings.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove indoor populations.